2020-21 back to school FAQs
Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions from the first week of the 2020-21 school year:
- How do I log in to Schoology?
Go to mcpss.schoology.com. (Note: Do not put www in front of the web address). Your child’s username will be his or her first, middle and last initial, followed by the last 6 digits of his or her ID#, and @stu.mcpss.com (Example: ) If you are using an MCPSS-issued computer, you may not need to include the @stu.mcpss.com to log on. Your child’s password: Capitalize the first letter of the first name, lowercase the first letter of the last name, and add the 8-digit birthdate. (Example: Sm01012010).
- If we are on a wait list for a device or hotspot, when can we expect to receive it?
More devices and hotspots are on the way to schools for students still in need of them. Schools are issuing the hotspots as soon as they are received. Please listen out for updates from your school. If you are waiting for a hotspot, you can access wifi delivered by our buses deployed around the county in the meantime.
- What can I do when I have problems logging in?
Call your school during school hours or our Technical Support Hotline at 221-7777 from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. for help. Both the schools and the hotline are handling a large volume of calls, so if you are unable to get through, please be patient and try again.
- If my student cannot log in due to technical problems or lack of equipment, will he/she be counted absent this week?
- Can we access Schoology on a smartphone?
- Do we have to follow the teacher’s schedule, or can we log in later in the day? Will the teacher’s live lessons be recorded for viewing later on?
Students are strongly encouraged to be logged on and present during the normal school day for the live lessons. However, if that is impossible, the lessons are recorded and are available to access at a later time.
- With the Labor Day holiday on Monday, when will meal pickup be next week?
Meal pickup for next week has been moved to Tuesday, Sept. 8, at the usual time: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- When will we receive our letter with vouchers for free home internet?
continuing to mail Broadband voucher letters out over the next couple of weeks.
- Is PE required each day?
Yes, PE is required daily by the state of Alabama
- Are electives required each day?
It depends on the type of elective and the grade level. Please contact your school for additional information related to electives.
- What are some options for parents who work and do not have family or anyone else to supervise their child each day to make sure they’re doing their work?
Several organizations, childcare centers, YMCAs and Boys & Girls Clubs, are offering supervised options during the day for parents who have to work.
12. When will we return to school?
We are monitoring the COVID-19 numbers and are working on a plan to transition students back into the classroom when it is safe to do so for our students, our teachers and our families. This plan will be communicated once finalized.