FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Murphy to Clark-Shaw Transition
In an effort to answer parent and student questions, we will keep this blog
posted to assist with quick answers. If you do not find a specific q&a,
please leave a comment.
Check back to this post for updates.
School Times & Classes
· What time will Murphy High students begin classes?
The new take in time will be 8:20 a.m. and dismissal at 3:30 p.m.
· Will arrival and dismissal times change for Clark-Shaw students?
No. Clark-Shaw students' take in and dismissal will continue at the
· How will Murphy High students receive an early dismissal?
Students in need of an early dismissal will catch the shuttle bus returning
to Murphy High School.
· Where will Murphy High students report in the morning?
All Murphy students will meet at Murphy High School at 7:00 a.m.
to catch the bus to Clark-Shaw.
· Will the days missed by Murphy and Clark-Shaw students be excused?
The school days lost on January 3rd and 4th will be forgiven by the state
and will not be subject to make up days at a later time.
· Will Murphy & Clark-Shaw students share facilities?
Murphy students will be located in the seventh/eighth grade building and in
portable units all located in the back of Clark-Shaw.
Clark-Shaw students have been moved into the main building and will house
6 portables at the back of the gym.
Clark-Shaw middle and Murphy High students will use the gym &
cafeteria-at separate times of the day.
· Will there be changes to the student schedules?
Murphy will not have a mini-block this term.
Take In 8:35 A.M.
1ST BLOCK 8:45 A.M.-10:20 A.M.
2ND BLOCK 10:25 A.M. – 11:55 A.M.
3RD BLOCK 12:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M.
4TH BLOCK 2:05 P.M. – 3:35 P.M.
Dismissal 3:35 P.M.
1ST WAVE 12:20 P.M.– 12:40 P.M. Buildings #46-60
2ND WAVE 12:40 P.M.– 1:00 P.M. Buildings #1-16
3RD WAVE 1:00 P.M.– 1:20 P.M. Buildings #17-33
4TH WAVE 1:20 P.M.– 1:40 P.M. 2 story building
5TH WAVE 1:40 P.M. – 2:00 P.M. Building #34-45
· Will all Murphy students start back to school, Monday, January 07, 2013?
No. The transition will begin with Seniors only returning on Monday, Jan. 7th,
Juniors will join them on Tuesday, Jan. 8th, Sophomores will join them on
Wednesday, Jan. 9th, and Freshmen will join them on Thursday, Jan. 10th.
The entire Murphy student body will be in regular attendance at
Clark-Shaw campus by Friday, Jan. 11th.
· Can Murphy students drive to Clark-Shaw if they live close to the school?
No. Students must report to Murphy HS to catch the buses to Clark-Shaw.
There is not sufficient parking for the additional students and staff.
· Can a Murphy student park in the neighborhood and walk to Clark-Shaw?
No. There will be Mobile Police Department on duty to ticket any students
parking in the neighborhood areas surrounding Clark.
· How will Murphy CO Op and athletes leave early for off-campus assignments?
MCPSS will have shuttle buses returning to Murphy HS throughout the day.
- All AM Faulkner students will be transported to Faulkner from the strip
parking lot of Murphy at 7:00 A.M.
- CO-Op students/ Student Spring Athletes will depart Clark-Shaw at 2:05 P.M.
to the Murphy strip parking lot.
· Will the Clark-Shaw bus schedule change?
Clark-Shaw bus students will now dismiss at 2 p.m. and will change buses at
Phillips with the buses still arriving at the other middle schools on the same
time schedule from the start of the school year.
Breakfast & Lunch
· Will Clark-Shaw and Murphy High students eat lunch and breakfast at the same time?
No. Clark-Shaw students will eat during their normal lunch waves.
Murphy students' will not begin their lunch waves until after Clark-Shaw
students have ended.
· Can Murphy students leave campus for lunch?
No. Murphy students will not be allowed to leave campus for lunch.
- There will be no vending machines, no take-out/delivery lunches allowed,
and no open-campus lunches.
· May a Clark-Shaw/Murphy parent come and eat lunch with their child?
No. Please give the students time to settle into their schedules.
· If I withdraw my Clark-Shaw student will he/she be able to return next year?
No. Any child pulled from the Magnet program will have to re-apply and join
the lottery pull for choice schools.
· Can a Murphy student transfer to another high school?
Yes. We will assist any Murphy student who would like to transfer to another
high school if he/she cannot accommodate to the temporary transition.
· Will the high school and middle school interact anytime during school hours?
No. All high school students will have separate facilities (except gym &
cafe-used at separate times) marked off by a fence in the back of the school.
· Will there be security officers on duty at school?
Yes. All Murphy faculty and staff will report to Clark-Shaw campus along
with its security officers.
- Students MUST be in full uniform, this includes outerwear.
- Sagging pants and shirts not tucked will not be tolerated.
- Action on discipline infractions will be dealt with immediately.
· How will students know where to go on campus?
All students will receive an orientation (given the first day back) by class
with specific directions for the temporary situation.
· What is the contact number for Murphy High School?
The school phone number is the same: 221-3186.
· Is there a safety plan for the modular units in case of bad weather?
A safety plan has been state approved for students and staff during
severe bad weather. Safety drills will be enforced in preparation.