The tornado on Christmas day caused major damage to the Murphy High School buildings and campus. The buildings cannot be occupied and will have to go through extensive repair prior to students returning. Though this crisis is difficult, student learning remains our primary goal. We are committed to providing a high level of educational services as we move through this transition.
While we fully understand that relocation is difficult, Clark-Shaw Magnet Middle School is a former high school and will best accommodate the needs of students in grades 9-12. Both principals are working together to make the transition. Dr. Smith and Mrs. McWain (Principal of Clark-Shaw Magnet) are seasoned, dedicated administrators who place student needs and learning as top priorities. The central office will provide continuous services and support for the needs of both schools.
Realizing that the high school will exist on the same campus as the middle school, I am requesting that parents become partners with the school district to ensure the success of the temporary relocation of Murphy High SchooL To support the success of this transition please note the following:
· Students will be expected to attend school daily and must arrive on time.
· Students will be expected to complete all assignments as teachers deliver instruction.
· Complete cooperation will be expected from students.
· Appropriate behavior will be exhibited at all times.
· Students will continue wearing school uniforms and must adhere to the dress code.
· High school students will not mingle with middle school students.
· Student drivers must park in designated areas and ride the shuttle to and from campus as parking space is limited.
· Transportation to and from school will be provided as needed, for all students.
· Lunch will be provided daily per Child Nutrition Program (CNP) guidelines.
· The high school will take-in and dismiss on an alternate schedule from the middle school: Take-in 8:35 a.rn. - Dismissal 3:35 p.rn.
· The high school and middle school will operate on different bell schedules.
· Although students' schedules may be adjusted, all will be in classes necessary for grade level progression and graduation.
· Senior graduation activities will continue to be scheduled as usual.
· Security will be provided during school hours.
· Parents should report to the designated office area for conferences, early dismissals, etc.
· Updates/newsletters will be delivered to parents from administrators to keep parents informed of pertinent information.
· Technology will be made available.
· Security will monitor student parking on the Murphy campus.
· Transfer students who exhibit inappropriate behavior will have transfers revoked.
· Students who do not transition well or adapt to the temporary relocation will be assigned to other high schools.
Murphy High School has been known for its long standing tradition of excellence throughout the county and the state. The district office will continue providing the service and support necessary to maintain the quality class program offered at Murphy. With us working together, I am confident that the Murphy spirit and Panther pride will be ever-present and that the Murphy High family will work successfully through this challenging situation. Murphy will be returned to prime condition and the quality program and proud heritage will be preserved. Your understanding, cooperation and support are appreciated.